Monday, March 22, 2010

One hundred pushups

Here's another idea I found at Runblogger: a training program called "one hundred pushups" that aims to get you to (duh!) 100 consecutive pushups in about six weeks. This stretches plausibility for me, since 1) I'm kinda fat and 2) I have the upper-body strength of a kindergartner. I'm going to try it anyway.

It starts with an initial test to see how many you can do now. I surprised myself a little and managed 22, thanks to Tony at the Powershop Gym, who has been beating me like a rented mule once a week for the past several weeks.

Based on the initial test, you start in one of three different tracks. Some weeks you do another test, which again places you in one of three tracks to continue. Each week you train three times with at least one day of rest between. Each day you do five sets of pushups, with varying reps and rest time.

If your initial test is over 20 pushups, you can optionally start at week 3. This is what I've decided to do, though I may regret it. Looking ahead just to the third training day, which should be on Friday for me, two of my sets will be 21 or more pushups! Yikes!

I did my first workout this morning. It was challenging, with sets of 12, 17, 13, and 13 reps with 60 seconds rest, followed by a set to exhaustion. I made it to 20 on that final set -- maybe 21 on Friday won't be impossible after all.

I'll be reporting my progress and eventual triumph or failure here.

No comments:

Post a Comment