Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Finally FiveFingers

It was sunny and 45F this evening, and most of our slow-release rain (aka "snow") has melted from the sidewalks. It was time to finally try out the Vibram FiveFingers outside. I'm still taking it slowly, so as to let my feet and legs build up strength. I ran only 15 minutes.

I ran mostly on concrete sidewalks, but some on grass and gravel and asphalt as well. The FiveFingers do protect the feet, but I could feel everything of any size from small pebbles and twigs on up. One does have to pay a little more attention to what's on the ground compared to running with conventional shoes.

I ran through a bit of sloppy snow and wet grass and gravel, and FiveFingers most certainly do NOT keep out water. The soles are siped for traction, and water comes right on through. I worry that this might contribute to blistering on longer runs.

I finished with no such problems, though -- just wet feet. I can tell that my calves, ankles, and feet are all getting stronger. I've had less and less muscle soreness in those areas as each day goes by. Nearly everything below my knees was at least a little sore for the first few days of this little experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment