Thursday, March 18, 2010

Back in conventional shoes for today

Over my lunch hour I took a short run in conventional running shoes, a pair of Brooks Trance. I really don't expect ever to convert completely to just barefoot and minimal shoes. The Trance is a lot of shoe, and I imagine I've purchased my last pair of those. I have about 5 or 6 pair of them, and while I've had good results, I just don't know if I'll ever need that much shoe again.

Peter Larson at Runblogger has an approach to shoes that's a little different from most runners I know. Lots of runners will wear one or two different models for training, and maybe own a pair of racing flats for short races. Peter's a little different. He really likes shoes. I mean really. Anyway, he considers himself a minimalist when it comes to shoes, but he hasn't much interest in running barefoot, and isn't trying to switch over completely to, say, Vibram FiveFingers. He does run in FiveFingers from time to time, and once ran barefoot, with not much success. His approach to minimalism is to use a variety of shoes, and use for any given run the minimum shoes that he thinks appropriate. For him, FiveFingers aren't a goal, but a tool to help him train his legs in a different manner than he can in a conventional shoe.

Mind you, his idea of a "heavy" shoe is pretty light.

I can see myself eventually taking up this way of doing things myself.

Check out his blog. He's a much better writer and blogger (and runner) than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment