Monday, March 8, 2010

Introduction

Barefoot and minimal-shoe running have garnered more and more attention in recent years. It's certainly nothing new; fifty years ago Abebe Bikila won the 1960 Olympic Marathon running barefoot. Zola Budd, infamous for her collision with Mary Decker in the 3000 at the 1984 Olympics, routinely ran barefoot. And, of course, for many tens of thousands of years all humans ran without shoes.

Lately it seems more people are taking a back-to-nature approach to running. Some say that modern running shoes, especially those with thick heel cushioning, encourage poor running mechanics, which leads to injuries.

The general idea is that the natural way for humans to run is to land softly on the forefoot. Heavy heel-striking, made possible by cushioned shoes, jars the body and causes harm.

I've just started exploring these ideas myself, and will here record what I find.

About me

I'm 46 years old as of this writing. I ran, rather slowly, track and cross country in high school, but didn't run again for nearly 20 years. Although I've been overweight to one degree or another over my last 10 years of renewed running, and have been wearing typical modern shoes the whole time, I've not had serious problems with injury. I believe I have fairly good stride mechanics -- I am a mid-foot striker. This mostly came naturally, though over the years I've read various advice here and there about proper running form. I imagine some of that has crept into my stride.

About 1 year ago I had tendonitis in my right foot, which idled me for several weeks. Although I recovered, I have not returned to my former mileage, and my weight has crept up. I find myself running less and less, and weighing more and more.

Earlier this year I decided to train for a half marathon. I've run 4 races of that distance or greater, but not for a few years. I don't want a repeat of last year. I might be taking a big chance here, but I think barefoot running will strengthen my feet and ankles, which may help me avoid tendonitis.

Later this year, I hope to be more fit, less fat, and happily running either barefoot or with something like the Vibram FiveFingers, which is a minimal shoe with just about the least amount of cushioning possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment