Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New shoes: Brooks Green Silence


Brooks Green Silence
I have a half marathon coming up shortly, and I don't think I'm ready to go that distance in a truly minimal shoe like the Vibram FiveFingers. I've been looking for something towards the minimal end of the traditional running shoe spectrum.

I've worn mostly Brooks shoes for the past several years, and have been pretty pleased. I'd read a little about the Green Silence racing flat, and thought I'd give them a try.

I just got them yesterday, and have only run about 5K on a treadmill in them, but my initial reaction is very positive. They're really light and comfortable.

I haven't decided if they're the ugliest shoe I've ever owned, or the coolest. It's one or the other; there's no in-between with these things. One might say they look like Ronald McDonald's bowling shoes -- bright yellow and red, and asymmetrical. One has a red sole and a mostly yellow upper, and the other is the opposite.

The heel-to-toe offset is just 8 mm, which is flatter than most running shoes. Brooks is getting on the minimalist bandwagon a bit, touting a number of models on their web site. They don't have anything close to the FiveFingers, but I wonder how long that will last. Surely the traditional shoe companies notice the attention Vibram is getting.

I'll have an update once I get some more miles on these shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment