Monday, May 14, 2012

Race report -- 2012 Brookings Half Marathon

I ran the Brookings Half Marathon on Saturday. Between six and fourteen days* prior to the race, I didn't train at all, so I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked. Even so, it was a good day and a good run. The weather was as good as it gets: almost no wind, and just the temperature I like. It was in the low 40s F at the start, and by the finish it was still cool.

As expected, I had a much easier time than last year, when I was forced by injury to take nearly a month off. In this year's race, I ran at about 12 seconds per km faster than my typical training pace. Had I not interrupted my training for travel, I expect I'd have gone only a little faster. Of my five half marathons, this one's pace was right in the middle.

I briefly considered wearing my Merrell Road Gloves, but in the end decided I needed a little more shoe than that and wore my Brooks Green Silence. I've liked those shoes from the start, and Saturday didn't change my opinion. I think if they had a little less drop from heel to forefoot, I'd like them even more, but I can't complain too much -- they performed very well.

Race director Dr. Matt Bien and his team did their usual exemplary work of putting on an event. I can't think of a single thing to complain about. Thanks to all of the volunteers -- you were great as usual.


* I was travelling with my family on vacation, and also to accompany my son's First Lego League robotics team to the World Invitational Open tournament. It was a ton of fun; maybe I'll write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment